28 Comments

12
Bill Carrier Bill Carrier

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I had one of these when I was 6 or so (born in 1960).  I can still remember throwing the stick hard over and spinning out.  I guess it stayed with me as I have my own plane now and am a vice president of engineering with Boeing.

Thanks for sharing !

Bill Carrier
V-RROOM!master V-RROOM!master

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

Thanks for stopping by. It can be quiet around here sometimes!
Wayne Davis Wayne Davis

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I just found one at a yard sale I am trying to locate wheels for it it has wheels but the bearings in the front are shot also what color do you call it I am trying to rebuild it to look like new also need stickers can anyone help
Ron Wesler Ron Wesler

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

Have told my children of this toy since they were little. Finally decided to look one up to show them, totally surprised to find it.
I also am a pilot today and totally enjoyed the joystick and turning abilities of the x15. I'd buy one in a minute if available today.
Kevin Kevin

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

Had one too.  It impressed me so much, that I obtained a degree in Aerospace Engineering.
janetvaughan janetvaughan

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I still have mine.  Would you like to buy it?
mark chapman mark chapman

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

if you still have it I would be interested. please call and if I am not there leave a message 586-480-0145 thanks
John Peeler John Peeler

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I still have mine.  Wore out the tires, doing donuts.  Restored tires and paint in the 90's  for my kids.  What a ride.  It beats my Porsche in handling!
Derrick Derrick

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I have one of these for sale but have no idea about them. 1960 Model mattel x-15 in great condition.
 Please call me with info. Derrick 256-452-5270

Janet Vaughan Janet Vaughan

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I have one.  How much would you give me for it?  Ella1212@comcast.net
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

 You can get replacement bearings at your local NAPA auto parts store. Take the old ones with you if possible so they can "size them up". If you can't get them out in one piece, or if they're missing, take the whole front wheel assembly to NAPA.

 I know a guy who can reproduce the metallic stickers. Call Delmar Signs at (724) 263-3324. Located just outside of Pittsburgh, PA.
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I'll give you $100 for it if it's fairly complete, with both seat belt halves & the buckle, and both rear wheel hubcaps. I'm not concerned with rust or dents.
Wayne Davis Wayne Davis

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I have been working on the body but I still need the front wheel and rear replacement tires Please help
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

 Howdy!

 You need all 3 wheels? Wow, now that's gonna be a tough one! The original rear wheels are 10" x 1.5" wide (tread width). The front wheel is 14" x 1.5".

 You can probably replace the rear wheels with wheels from a torch-cart, the type used to carry an oxy-acetylene cutting / burning outfit. You can find these wheels from industrial suppliers like Grainger and McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com), or at most welding supply retailers. You'll also be able to find other items like 7/16" solid steel rod and ball-bearings there, although I've found that NAPA auto parts has ball-bearings at better prices. Retailers like Tractor Supply and Home Depot are also a good place to find stuff like this.

 The front wheel is going to be a bit more difficult to replace, as the pedal / axle shaft runs through the wheel, and is permanently welded to the assembly. Perhaps you can locate a child's tricycle with the correct size wheel, then just fabricate the solid metal sides of the wheel over the wire wheel spokes, using sheet steel. "20 gauge" sheet steel would be the easiest to use, as it bends easily and can be hammered into just about any shape. The key to sheet metal working is to "ask" the metal to take the shape you want, and not "demand". In other words, many light hits with a flat or ball-peen hammer works much better than hard, heavy hits, Also, using a wooden "buck" to shape the metal around is always better than hammering the steel around the original piece. Of course, you'll need to carve the buck out of wood... If you have a wood lathe, you're all set. If not, it's time to break out the hand tools. Have patience, and give yourself all the time in the world.

 Lets say that you have a 14" x 1.5" wheel to start with, but without the pedal crank... it's no big deal to make one from scratch!

 First, you'll need bearings, 1/2" inside diameter and about 1-1/2" outside diameter. The outside diameter isn't terribly important... just get something close, if not exact. You then will have to insert a 1/2" O.D. - 7/16" I.D. tube through the center of the wheel, and weld it into place. This is what the bearings will slide over. You can make the tube by hammering a piece of 20 gauge sheet steel around a length of 7/16" solid rod and spot-welding it into place on the solid rod. The finished outside diameter of the rolled section should be just shy of 1/2".

 Insert the rolled section through the center of the wheel and carefully weld it into place. Slide the 1/2" i.d. bearings over the ends of the rolled section, and slightly crush the ends of the rolled section in towards the wheel to prevent the bearings from sliding off.

 Bend the 7/16" solid rod into shape for the pedal cranks that the pedals will slide onto. You will likely need a good table vise to hold the rod while bending it, and a propane or acetylene torch to heat it, as the rod will bend much more easily when heated.

 With some patience & a little practice, you be able to fabricate just about anything!

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:04:18 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

I have been working on the body but I still need the front wheel and rear replacement tires Please help

To unsubscribe from 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There, click here.
NAML
ONEOAK ONEOAK

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

Thanks for the rear tire help, mine are totally worn out. The sound maker and switch still works but I don't have the little red tailpipe, which I assume is just a decoration right?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

 The "little red tail light" that you may have seen in a picture on this website is not really supposed to be there. There was nothing put into that opening when the X-15 was made. I'm guessing that many kids jammed something into that hole to simulate an exhaust pipe. When I was small enough to actually ride my X-15, I used to fill that opening with very fine, dry dirt, hoping that it would fall out and make "smoke" as I rode along... hee hee!

Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 00:21:51 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Thanks for the rear tire help, mine are totally worn out. The sound maker and switch still works but I don't have the little red tailpipe, which I assume is just a decoration right?

To unsubscribe from 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There, click here.
NAML
x15v3693 x15v3693

RE: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

My X-15 does not have the seat belt and buckle.  Is the buckle anything special?  It looks like from pictures I've seen that it is.  Can anyone loan me a buckle that I can make a cast pattern from?
inertiajunkie inertiajunkie

RE: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

This is the best of the information age! I saw an X-15 once, and never forgot it. Finding this site by chance, miraculous. I would like to collect accurate geometry information.
1. Does anyone already have this info. from measurement or original drawings?
2. Does anyone have a body and rear axles I could purchase to measure?
3. Does anyone close to me have one and would you be willing to let me measure it?

Thank you all for your contributions to this site and any help you may offer.
Joe Peterson DALtONHyDRO@hotmail.com (Email has NO CAPITALS)
Remember Gallagher....
inertiajunkie inertiajunkie

Re: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

oops sorry, Joe's in Lynchburg Va.
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1960's Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle - They're Still Out There

You can take all the measurements you like from my X-15 if you're ever in the southwestern Pa. area, or I can do the measuring for you. Are you going to try to make one from scratch?

 It might be easier just to look on eBay or Craigslist. I see them on eBay every once-in-a-while. Sometimes the price is reasonable, but what's reasonable to me might be either crazy expensive or ridiculously cheap to you. For a nice, mostly complete X-15, I figure about $120 to $200 is reasonable. I saw one on eBay a few months back that was in like-new condition, with perfect tires and all the stickers on it. I think the seller was asking $300 for it.
12