55 Comments

123
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Howdy!

 I'm not looking to sell my X-15, as I'm going to restore it for my grandson, however, I just got an email from "phil p" on the X-15 website who might be looking to sell his X15. I asked him about selling his, as I was looking for parts, but his is missing the same parts as mine (the seat belts & hubcaps), so I can't use it. If you reply to the post from "phil p" on the X-15 website, perhaps you guys can work out an agreement.

 Have a great day!

  --Brad

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:00:06 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I used to have an X-15 when i was 4 years old, im looking to buy one that is in good condition

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
NAML
viperking viperking

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have an X-15,  looking for rear wheels, decal kit and working v-rroom.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Howdy!

 The good news first...

 There's a guy in Monongahela, PA that can reproduce the decals. His business is "Delmar's Signs", and you can call the shop at (724) 263-3324. As far as the other parts, eBay will probably be your best bet, but you're going to have to be persistent in your search, as X-15's and parts for them are few & far between.

 The not-so-good news...

 Unless the "Vrroom" mechanism is missing, then you're probably better off trying to repair it with some "Yankee ingenuity". It works by rubbing a small wheel against the front tire, which in turn spins a weighted, rotating "thingie" (pardon my technical jargon) against a miniature drum. Chances are that either the rotating thingie is missing, or the "rubbing wheel" is worn down too far to come into contact with the front tire.

 If the "thingie" is missing, a new one can be made with a couple of small washers loosely attached to anything that can be fastened to the shaft that extends from the rubbing wheel. Be sure that the washers can move about freely, as they need to be able to bounce off of the drum as the "rubbing wheel" spins.

  If the small "rubbing wheel" is worn down or missing, a new one can be fashioned from a model car or airplane wheel that's 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Check your local hobby shop, or search online for "radio controlled airplane parts".

 Also, be sure that the "drum" or "speaker" of the Vrroom unit is still in one piece. If it isn't, well then, you guessed it... a new one will have to be fashioned out of whatever you can think of. I've never had to re-pop one, but I bet'cha it could be made out of some thin plastic sheeting cut from a discarded toy (perhaps the bed of a plastic dump truck?).

 And now for the bad news...

 As far as finding rear wheels, sorry, but you might just be out of luck. The closest wheels I've seen that are approximately the same diameter and thickness are wheels from a "torch cart" - the kind used to carry an oxy-acetylene cutting torch outfit. You can probably find one on eBay, but if not, you can buy them at any welding supply retailer.

 If the real wheels are missing, then the hubcaps are likely missing as well. These are as rare as hen's teeth, but I am currently attempting to reproduce the hubcaps by making a stamping mold of an existing original. If I'm successful, I'll have them for sale on this website. Wish me luck!

 Have a great day!

  -Brad

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:55:45 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

I have an X-15,  looking for rear wheels, decal kit and working v-rroom.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
NAML
viperking viperking

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Thanks for the information Brad.  Yes, the hub caps are missing, so if you are successful in fabricating any, I could use a pair.  I really only need one rear wheel, so if you hear of one, keep me in mind.  Also, the V-Rroom mechanism is is missing.  Then only part on the unit is the red slide lever on the console.
I will get in touch with the decal shop to see if I can get those made.
Let me know if you find any parts, or have success with the hub caps.
Dan
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 Hi Dan!

 The fact that there is still one rear wheel there is fortunate. Now you have something to use as an example if you need to find 2 other wheels to use as a replacement. Of course, you could always do the "resto-mod" thing... If you're unfamiliar with the term "resto-mod", it's a term commonly used by car-guys and hot rodders, and it means to put the machine back into working order, but not completely restoring it back to the original appearance or performance. Okay, so it's a tricycle, and "performance" doesn't really come into play here, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

 Anyway, perhaps you could use a different style of rear wheels, maybe something a bit wider, or something with a mag-wheel look to it. Many different types of wheels can be found at places like Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight stores, and you can find an even bigger selection of wheels from industrial suppliers such as McMaster-Carr and Grainger. If the wheels aren't going to be original, you might as well paint it a different color if you see fit, or go all-out and do something like a wild flame job!

 As far a the missing Vrroom unit, I would do a "saved search" or "want it now" search on eBay. That way, eBay will send you an email as soon as the item you're looking for is listed by someone.

 Of course, you could always try to make a Vrroom mechanism yourself, using whatever you think might do the job. As long as it fits into the wheel well, nobody will see it. I haven't tried to make one, but I don't imagine it would be terribly difficult for anyone who's good at working with their hands.

 I'm taking my unrestored X-15 to Delmar's sign shop this afternoon so he will have an example to pattern his re-pop decals from. If you call him before I bring my X-15 to his shop, he's probably going to tell you something like "I need the original..." But if you wait a day or two, he'll have have everything he needs.

 Good luck, and have a great day!

  --Brad

NAML
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 Hi Dan!

 I took my X-15 down to Delmar's sign shop the other day so he could make new decals for it. After taking many digital photos and doing an outline tracing of the originals, he said that making new decals will be a fairly easy job, although the embossed appearance of the letters won't be quite the same. Also, he will need your serial numbers (located next to the red plastic slide thingie) from the original decals. If your decals are missing or damaged to the point that the serial numbers aren't legible, there's no harm in just "inventing" the numbers. The top number should be a 4-digit number, and the bottom number is a 6 digits. Both numbers are stamped into the decal, with the number on top slightly superimposed over the bottom number.

 I told him that other folks may be calling him for the same decals. Of course, this made him happy, as the economic situation here in S.W. Pennsylvania is just as bad as most other parts of the country, and any boost in business is welcomed!

 I'm going to remove the Vrroom unit from my X-15 and take a few photos of it to put on the Mattel / Vrroom website. Perhaps this will help other people who might want to repair their Vrroom units or try to make something to replace missing units. I'll ask my wife to put the photos on the website this weekend, as I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like computers and downloading / uploading photos. (If it doesn't have wheels, wings, or an engine, I'm just not interested enough in it to learn about it... hee-hee!)

 --Brad

NAML
jgood jgood

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

i just bought one of these off a older gentelman that owned since he was a young kid,got plans to restore it someday,but need stickers,seat belt,and would like to know what the exact color or color code is,the guy had painted it sometime back,but i would like to restore it back to factory specs, and show it to him..i,m in it for 150.00bucks for now hope i'm not in it to deep,but hey not alot of them out there to obtain,restoring a few pedal cars at the moment when they are done thought i might start on the x-15,does anyone know wher some repoduction parts could be obtained,if so give me a call at 419-296-5141.

                                       Thank you........John     Lima , Ohio
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 Hi John!

 Congratulations on your X-15 find!

 I just had a friend of mine who owns a graphic design shop reproduce the stickers for my unrestored X-15. I'm sure he can crank out another set for you. I'll see him on Tuesday, and ask how much he wants for another set of stickers.

 The original color of the Mattel X-15 was a semi-metallic "silver blue" color. The closest thing I've found to it in a spray can is Pontiac engine paint, which you can get at just about any auto parts store. The color is almost an exact match, but be sure to get the blue that is used on the Pontiac engines of the early '70's. Pontiac switched to a slightly darker shade of blue sometime in the mid '70's.

 Of course, you can try to find an area of the bike that hasn't been re-painted... perhaps if you remove the red plastic grip on the steering handle, or underneath the stickers, if they are still in place. Another good place to check for original paint is the rear wheel axles. Remove one of the rear wheels to see if there is some original paint still there. You can take the spindle (or the whole bike) to an auto parts store that supplies paint for body shops (most NAPA stores) to have an exact match mixed up. If you have the equipment to paint with, such as a compressor & spray gun, then you already know what you're doing. If not, then you can find a local body shop to spray it for you.

 The wheels and pedal shafts were painted semi-metallic silver. Any good spray-can paint will do, but be sure to use a good brand, such as Rust Oleum, because cheaper brands will lose the glossy shine quickly. Also, most silver paint tends to rub off easily, especially if it's a bargain brand. After the wheels are painted, there should be red dot stickers, approx. 1/2" diameter, placed over the spot welds that are around the edge of the steel rims. The spot welds are centered between the small ridges (about an inch long) that are near the outer wheel rim. I've found red dot stickers that people use as price tags at yard sales & flea markets are a perfect match for the stickers Mattel used. You can find them at Walmart or any "Dollar Store".

 As far as the seat belt, I don't know where you might find a replacement. My X-15 has only one-half of the original seat belt, and don'tcha just know that it's the half without the buckle... I've been looking at places like "Jo-Ann Fabrics" for some kind of fabric or rubber to fabricate the other half of the seat belt, but so far I haven't had any luck.

 $150 is about right for a mostly complete X-15. After a proper restoration, you should be able to get at least $300 for it, but I suggest holding on to it. After all, you don't see Mattel X-15's very often, and finding another might not happen anytime soon.

 Have a great day!

  --Brad

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 17:49:55 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

i just bought one of these off a older gentelman that owned since he was a young kid,got plans to restore it someday,but need stickers,seat belt,and would like to know what the exact color or color code is,the guy had painted it sometime back,but i would like to restore it back to factory specs, and show it to him..i,m in it for 150.00bucks for now hope i'm not in it to deep,but hey not alot of them out there to obtain,restoring a few pedal cars at the moment when they are done thought i might start on the x-15,does anyone know wher some repoduction parts could be obtained,if so give me a call at 419-296-5141.

                                       Thank you........John     Lima , Ohio

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
NAML
Tom M Tom M

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Phil,
Do you still have your X15? What is Condition? What is Price? I would like one for my son if we could make a deal?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 Hi Phil,

 Yes I still have my X-15, and it's in much better condition than most of the others I've seen, missing only one half of the seat belt & the buckle. Other than that, it's complete, showing only minimal wear on the tires, and the small rubber wheel that spins the Vrroom is worn to the point of needing replacement.

 Unfortunately, it is not for sale, as it's currently being restored for my grandson to use.

 If you can find another X-15 in useable condition, I would be glad to restore it for you. Perhaps an occasional search on eBay or some flea market shopping will bring you some luck.

 Have a great day!

  --Brad

Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 09:46:03 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Phil,
Do you still have your X15? What is Condition? What is Price? I would like one for my son if we could make a deal?

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
NAML
gretal74 gretal74

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Brad - is there a link to images of your restored X-15?
gretal74 gretal74

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Brad - is there a link to images of your restored X-15?
bruce wilbur bruce wilbur

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I need tires and seat belt reasonably priced.
Dave Dave

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Do you still have the V-RROOM? I am interested! My email is scout30501@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Marc Beauregard Marc Beauregard

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I had the
Bat Mobile version photo on my face book account
V-RROOM!master V-RROOM!master

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

It's so awesome seeing people interacting on the forum. I am a very busy dad of three kids and do not have much free time. But, I come out here to check up on things whenever I can. I created this forum because I had such a hard time finding any information about these toys when my son and I were fixing up a decrepit Stallion we bought off Ebay a couple of years ago. It was a tedious job locating any details about the bike and I thought I could share what I found with others that might be interested and having the same experience as far as lack of information. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with our members. It is very valuable to the community and much appreciated!!
Lee Lee

Re: Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Okay, those above are old postings; I'm writing this in Jan 2013 about finding a Mattel X-15 v-rroom tricycle...does anyone have one for sale in fairly good condition (a driver/not for show);
My sons loved theirs while they had it back in the 80's; but now I have a 4 year old and 7 year old grandsons who need the v-rroom experience!!  --Lee@northwestmedia.com ---
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 I see X-15's on eBay now & then, and they're usually selling for about $150 - $200. The really nice ones go for maybe $300.

 I haven't done anything to my X-15 project since mid-summer, and it still has quite a way to go. It's been on the "back-burner" ever since I began restoration on a 1950 Indian Chief for my grandson, and then a 1962 Honda C100 "Super Cub" that wandered into my garage via Craigslist immediately after the Indian left. All I really have left to do to the X-15 is the paint & final assembly, but as usual, it's a case of "too many toys & too little time".
V-RROOM!master V-RROOM!master

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Hi Lee,

Here is a link that shows fairly recent sales on Ebay to give you an idea of current values.

http://museum-of-vintage-v-rroom-collectible-mattel-toys.2291616.n2.nabble.com/Mattel-V-RROOM-X-15-Velocipede-Toy-and-Parts-Values-tp7572676p7572677.html

Use the scroll bar at the bottom of this post to scroll to the selling prices on the RH side of the image, Good luck with your search for an X-15 and please share your experience with the forum if you can.... what you bought, how much you paid, pictures, etc. would be of great interest to all of us.

Thanks,

V-RROOM!master
Jim Kleis Jim Kleis

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle