66 Comments

1234
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I'm sorry, but with all of my other projects battling for completion, my X-15 has been relegated to "back burner" status. I hope to resume work on the X-15 in the fall, and have it finished in time for Christmas, as I plan on giving it to my grandson.

Have a great day!

Brad

Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 15:34:16 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

did you make a belt and buckle if so cam you e-mail me at [hidden email]

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
jack jack

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have one. I would like to talk to someone that could tell me more about it. I'm not sure of what year it is from. (623) 261-7203 (jack)
jack jack

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have a v-Rroom x-15. I would like to talk to someone that could tell me more about it. I'm not sure of what year it is from. (623) 261-7203 (jack)
Steve Steve

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

About a year ago, I purchased an X-15 tricycle at a swap meet.  I had never seen one before and figured my kid would be the proud new owner of something unique.  And wow, was I right... These things are hard to find and amazing for a boy who is looking for some trouble.

Brad, mine was a bright metallic red color.  I found the original color under the stickers when I removed them.  I am getting it powder coated blue though.  (skipping the paint so it lasts longer)

A few things I am looking for...

I am going to use Brad's connect for the stickers, so thanks Brad!

I do need new rubber on the wheels since mine are deteriorating.  Anyone have anything in mind?  I have found company's in Southern Cali and Texas that make extruded rubber but I don't think the width and height of the tire are the same.

Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I'm thinking that when the trike is taken apart for powder-coating, you will find that it was originally a silver-blue color. I could be wrong, but I've never seen or even heard of an X-15 in any other color. If it really was originally red, the you've got something really rare! If that's the case, then perhaps restoring it would not be a good idea.

Look into some of the hard-to-get-to areas of the bike, such as under the seat pan, or where the control stick fits into the steering tube to try to find some original paint. If it appears to have been painted red by Mattel back in the '60's, then you might have a 'Holy Grail' type of collectors item that is worth much more in original, unrestored condition.

Good Luck!

Brad

mike mike

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

brad, this is mike out in Utah.I have a original painted red 1964 mattel x-15 v-rroom.It is still in
very good condition.Looking for someone to tell me the value.if you would like  to see some
pictures send me your email.Looking for history for the x-15,how many was built?,how many color
was made?Thanks for your time.mike
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 Hi Mike,

 I'm a bit unclear about the "original painted red" part of your X-15. Are you saying that the X-15 was painted red by Mattel, or that it's all original, but somebody painted it red? If it came from Mattel with red paint, then it's extremely rare... so rare in fact, that I've never heard of one existing. As far as I know, all X-15's were painted a silver- blue color, however, I'm certainly not an expert on this subject.

 The best way to determine if your X-15 is wearing it's original paint would be to disassemble it and look in "hard to reach" areas, such as under the front fender and inside the steering tube, for traces of blue paint. If you don't find any blue paint, perhaps carefully scratch off a bit of red in those areas to see if there is blue under the red paint. If it turns out that it really did come from Mattel with red paint, then you've got yourself something special indeed! Keep in mind that some people (like me) are perfectionists. When I paint something, I usually have it media-blasted first, which removes all traces of the original paint. If this was done to you X-15, then it's a guessing game as to what the original color was.

 Perhaps a call or email to Mattel, inc. could verify whether or not any red X-15's were ever produced.

 Either way, X-15 trikes are going up in value, as is just about everything from the "good ol' days". If it was painted by a previous owner, then it's not worth quite as much as a nice original (about $300 these days), but if it turns out to be red from the factory, then it's worth at least twice as much, perhaps more!

 Have a great day!

  Brad

NAML
Ryan Ryan

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

One for sale here in Minnesota
breathelifedeeply breathelifedeeply

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Is the one for sale in minnesota yours, or do you just know of one?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

The picture of the X-15 posted on tricyclefetish is nice, but there are several things about this X-15 that aren't quite right. First off, the black handgrip on the steering post is not original. The original handgrip is red, and does not have "fins" like the one pictured. The original handgrip looks very much like a normal handgrip that would be found on just about any bicycle of the era, with indentations on one side for the fingers, and a small (about 1/8") hole in the center of end, or top, of the handle. Also, the are perhaps 20 or more horizontal "ribs" on the back of the handle, opposite the finger indentations. Secondly, the black pinstripes and "X-15" lettering shown in this picture were never applied on the original X-15. The turquoise looking paint on the X-15 pictured could be just a trick of the light, but the original paint is a silver-blue, or blue-silver color, depending on what you want to call it. If you wish to paint an X-15 as close to the original color as possible, go to Woodward Fab's website (they sell automotive restoration products and tools) and get a can or two of OLD Pontiac engine paint. Be careful, because Pontiac changed the shade of their engine paint in the mid 70's. Pretend you're painting the engine of a '67 GTO. And no, the X-15 for sale mentioned in a previous comment is not mine.
smorgan3@msn.com smorgan3@msn.com

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have an X-15 that I purchased about 15 years ago from a flea market.  I thought it was really unique.  I bought it had it displayed on a display shelf in my home until we moved 5 years ago.  It's been in storage since.   I am looking to sell it since I have no room for it anymore.  It has been repainted by a previous owner.  They had removed
the Vrroom mechanism and the shift and had it in a plastic bag for me.  There was no seat belt or sticker emblem enclosed.  They also gave me a magazine called "Collecting Toys" from April 1998.  This has a photo and an article that talks about the original tricycle.  It is in working condition and appears to have original parts.  But of course, I have no way to tell for sure.  I'm wondering if anyone knows how much I could sell it for or where to sell it.  I will try to post pictures if I can figure out how to do it on the board.

Thanks for any help!

Shari
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Hi Shari,

 If you're looking to sell your X-15, I suggest listing it on eBay. Craigslist is okay, but it seems to be very unorganized, and isn't updated often enough. Facebook has a selling feature called "Marketplace", but most people don't know about it, so the number of folks looking at your item will be quite limited. I think a starting price of at least $50 is fair, if it needs restored or if it is missing a few minor parts, but is still in useable condition. If it's 100 percent complete, but obviously repainted, likely in a non-correct color, start the bidding at around $100. I suggest not placing a reserve, because a reserve makes many people, myself included, pass on the item. Instead of a reserve, just make the starting bid whatever you want the reserve price to be.

 Have a great day!

 Brad

Sent from my iPad

NAML
smorgan3@msn.com smorgan3@msn.com

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Thank you Brad.  I really appreciate your opinion and advice, I will look into those options and put it up for sale.  Thank you.

Shari
Patrick DeAngelis Patrick DeAngelis

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have one sitting in my garage. It doesn't make the Vroom noise that I'm guessing supposed to comma however the only thing with it is my grandpa painted it and put red wagon wheels to replace the corroded out completely cars but everything is original rust y is there a model number that I should look for to see when and where it's been made?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Hi Patrick,

 If your grandmother painted it, she might have used latex paint. If that's the case, it might be easy to remove, as latex paint usually doesn't adhere very well to pre-painted surfaces that already have petroleum-based paint on them. See if you can scratch some of the red paint off with your fingernail. If it comes off easily, then that's what you'll have to do for the whole thing. Don't try to remove the red paint with anything metal, as doing that will seriously damage the original paint under the red. If the red paint is from a spray can, such as Rust Oleum, then you're going to have to strip all of the paint off and repaint it. The original color is a slightly metallic silver-blue, very similar to the color Pontiac used to paint engines until the early '70's. You can find this engine paint at better auto parts store such as NAPA. Just be sure to get the paint made for pre-1973 Pontiac engines, as Pontiac changed to a darker shade of blue after 1973.

 A friend reproduces the decals that are on the "dashboard" and sides of the fenders. You can call his cell phone at (724) 263-3324, or Google "Delmar Signs in Monongahela, PA" for his business phone number. I think he sells the decal sets for about $40, but I'm not positive about the price.

 If you would like to replace the wagon wheels that were used to replace the originals, you might be able to find something very similar to the originals on industrial supply places such as Grainger or McMaster-Carr. These places sell to anybody, not just businesses, so check out their websites. I bet you can find something very close to the originals. Some of the wheels for welding carts and other industrial stuff look like they would be a good match.

 As far as I know, there are no numbers anywhere on the X-15 that would indicate when it was made. Mattel produced these from 1963 to 1966, so it's at least 51 years old, perhaps a bit older.

 If the "Vrrooom" sound making device isn't working, you might be able to repair it. There are a few things to look for -- the device works by rubbing along the side of the front wheel, so perhaps it's just not making contact, or maybe a part has frozen over time and just needs to be gently worked back and forth a bit to get it working again. You"ll have to remove the front wheel to get to the "Vrrooom" -- and yes, that's actually what it's called.

 Good luck, and have fun!

 Brad Beall

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 9, 2017, at 5:29 AM, Patrick DeAngelis [via Museum of Vintage V-RROOM! - Collectible Mattel Toys] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have one sitting in my garage. It doesn't make the Vroom noise that I'm guessing supposed to comma however the only thing with it is my grandpa painted it and put red wagon wheels to replace the corroded out completely cars but everything is original rust y is there a model number that I should look for to see when and where it's been made?

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
NAML
p coop p coop

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

i as well have one of these..
from age 4 till 14 i put a lot of miles on it,and still not to
bad of shape.....
Angela DeAngelis Angela DeAngelis

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have one from Santa 1965.I was 5. My dad stopped the engine noise my first ride. Too loud for neighbors. Best toy ever.
I'm 56 now. My dad died Monday. It was in his garage all these years.I woke up yesterday and there it is on my livingroom floor. I have to sell it. I found your website it started reading what I came across was my son Patrick wrote to you about it in March. Your answer was very thorough. Thank you. A lot of information.
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Talk about coincidences -- I'm also 56, I got mine in for Christmas in 1965, and I also have a son named Patrick!

 My condolences to you and your family. It's obvious that your father loved you very much, as he kept your X-15 all these years to remind him of when you were just a tot.

 Anyway, are you sure you want to sell your X-15? After all, it's pretty much a "family heirloom" now. Perhaps you have a grandchild to hand it down to? I have 2 grandsons, Brody - 6, and Dylan - almost 2. Brody has put quite a few miles on my old X-15, and when Dylan's feet can reach the pedals, he'll be the next "pilot" of the coolest tricycle ever made.

 Have a great day!
Angela DeAngelis Angela DeAngelis

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Wow, Brad, I love the coincidences! Thank you for the heart felt condolences. Sounds like you were a precious tot as well. It shows in the kindhearted man you have become.
Christmas morning, 1965 was magical! My X15 from Santa, what a wonderful memory. We didn't even question the stocking stuffers  like that soft plastic you squeeze out of a little silver tube, insert the straw and blow a big plastic bubble. Not one worry about the cancer causing chemicals in that tube. Well, we are all still here.
Christmas 1966, different story. Santa came but took my parents or so I thought. My grandparents were there instead. My mom had a Christmas Day Baby! My sister, Mariann. We grew up in Orange County, California.  Knotts Berry Farm was free. Could see Disneyland fireworks from the kitchen window, Tinker Bell too. I could go on and on but I don't want to get too far off topic. I'm checking for any more coincidences, lol.
I don't have grandchildren yet. I don't have storage space to keep the x15. There is still a 1962 Pontic Bonivelle in the garage I can't keep..  It has been wonderful chatting with you, Brad. I have some pictures of my x15. I will search for the way to send one.
Sincerely, Angela DeAngelis
Christmas Morning 1965  -  Angela & My Dad ♡
20170922_181502.jpg
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Hello Angela!

 I can't think of any more coincidences between you and I, but it sounds as if you had a wonderful childhood!

I grew up in S.W. Pennsylvania in the area known as the "Mon Valley", about 25 miles south-west of Pittsburgh, PA. The winters here were what one would refer to as "real winters", with snow from November through March. When I was a kid, it was quite normal to have a foot or more of snow on the ground, which made sled riding and "tubing" (using an inflated truck inner tube as a sled) a typical winter activity for kids of all ages. When Santa brought my X-15, I pedaled it all through our big ol' farm house until Spring finally came around. The summer between first & second grade, I learned to ride a bicycle, so the X-15 saw little use for the next 3 decades, and even spent some time in the junk pile out back before I rescued it. Yes, back then just about everyone had a "junk pile" someplace in their yard, away from where it could be seen from the road, usually not far from where the out-house was located, or at least used to located. Growing up "out in the boonies" was great, as we could do just about anything we wanted. Riding go-karts & mini-bikes down the road was a favorite pastime of me & my friends when we weren't building forts and tree houses out in the woods.

 After high school, I enlisted in the Army, and after my time with Uncle Sam, I moved to California, first to Burbank, and then the Santa Monica / Venice Beach area. My sister also moved out there with her (now ex) husband, and she lived in Costa Mesa, probably not far from you. Although we were almost within "walking distance" of Disneyland, neither of us actually made it through the gate to see the park. At first I worked as a boat mechanic at a Bayliner dealership in Burbank, then I got a job as a roadie for the band "Black Flag" with Henry Rollins, who I met while doing some freelance boat repair at Marina Del Rey. That job led me to another roadie job with the Greatful Dead... 4 months with those wonderful folks during the Dead's Summer Tour of '84. I'm now back in the Mon Valley, and my sister lives in North Carolina.

 Not to get off track, but you mentioned a '62 Pontiac?!? Wow! I'm a restorer & collector or American muscle cars, and would give just about anything for a rust-free example of a vintage Pontiac! Around these parts, just about every car rusted into the ground before the engine stopped running, due to the pollution from the Pittsburgh steel mills (acid rain) and the salt used on the roads to melt the winter snow. I have a few beautiful cars that I've restored, but no Pontiacs. Do you have an idea of what you might want for the car?

 Oh my... I didn't mean to be so long-winded! I'm at work right now (I'm a Zamboni mechanic & building technician at a local ice rink), so I should probably at least look like I'm doing something work-related before the suit & tie types start nosing around.

 Have a great day! I hope to hear from you again!

 Brad

Sent from my iPad