55 Comments

123
Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I'm sorry, but with all of my other projects battling for completion, my X-15 has been relegated to "back burner" status. I hope to resume work on the X-15 in the fall, and have it finished in time for Christmas, as I plan on giving it to my grandson.

Have a great day!

Brad

Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 15:34:16 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

did you make a belt and buckle if so cam you e-mail me at [hidden email]

To unsubscribe from 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle, click here.
jack jack

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have one. I would like to talk to someone that could tell me more about it. I'm not sure of what year it is from. (623) 261-7203 (jack)
jack jack

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have a v-Rroom x-15. I would like to talk to someone that could tell me more about it. I'm not sure of what year it is from. (623) 261-7203 (jack)
Steve Steve

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

About a year ago, I purchased an X-15 tricycle at a swap meet.  I had never seen one before and figured my kid would be the proud new owner of something unique.  And wow, was I right... These things are hard to find and amazing for a boy who is looking for some trouble.

Brad, mine was a bright metallic red color.  I found the original color under the stickers when I removed them.  I am getting it powder coated blue though.  (skipping the paint so it lasts longer)

A few things I am looking for...

I am going to use Brad's connect for the stickers, so thanks Brad!

I do need new rubber on the wheels since mine are deteriorating.  Anyone have anything in mind?  I have found company's in Southern Cali and Texas that make extruded rubber but I don't think the width and height of the tire are the same.

Brad Beall Brad Beall

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I'm thinking that when the trike is taken apart for powder-coating, you will find that it was originally a silver-blue color. I could be wrong, but I've never seen or even heard of an X-15 in any other color. If it really was originally red, the you've got something really rare! If that's the case, then perhaps restoring it would not be a good idea.

Look into some of the hard-to-get-to areas of the bike, such as under the seat pan, or where the control stick fits into the steering tube to try to find some original paint. If it appears to have been painted red by Mattel back in the '60's, then you might have a 'Holy Grail' type of collectors item that is worth much more in original, unrestored condition.

Good Luck!

Brad

mike mike

RE: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

brad, this is mike out in Utah.I have a original painted red 1964 mattel x-15 v-rroom.It is still in
very good condition.Looking for someone to tell me the value.if you would like  to see some
pictures send me your email.Looking for history for the x-15,how many was built?,how many color
was made?Thanks for your time.mike
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

 Hi Mike,

 I'm a bit unclear about the "original painted red" part of your X-15. Are you saying that the X-15 was painted red by Mattel, or that it's all original, but somebody painted it red? If it came from Mattel with red paint, then it's extremely rare... so rare in fact, that I've never heard of one existing. As far as I know, all X-15's were painted a silver- blue color, however, I'm certainly not an expert on this subject.

 The best way to determine if your X-15 is wearing it's original paint would be to disassemble it and look in "hard to reach" areas, such as under the front fender and inside the steering tube, for traces of blue paint. If you don't find any blue paint, perhaps carefully scratch off a bit of red in those areas to see if there is blue under the red paint. If it turns out that it really did come from Mattel with red paint, then you've got yourself something special indeed! Keep in mind that some people (like me) are perfectionists. When I paint something, I usually have it media-blasted first, which removes all traces of the original paint. If this was done to you X-15, then it's a guessing game as to what the original color was.

 Perhaps a call or email to Mattel, inc. could verify whether or not any red X-15's were ever produced.

 Either way, X-15 trikes are going up in value, as is just about everything from the "good ol' days". If it was painted by a previous owner, then it's not worth quite as much as a nice original (about $300 these days), but if it turns out to be red from the factory, then it's worth at least twice as much, perhaps more!

 Have a great day!

  Brad

NAML
Ryan Ryan

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

One for sale here in Minnesota
breathelifedeeply breathelifedeeply

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Is the one for sale in minnesota yours, or do you just know of one?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

The picture of the X-15 posted on tricyclefetish is nice, but there are several things about this X-15 that aren't quite right. First off, the black handgrip on the steering post is not original. The original handgrip is red, and does not have "fins" like the one pictured. The original handgrip looks very much like a normal handgrip that would be found on just about any bicycle of the era, with indentations on one side for the fingers, and a small (about 1/8") hole in the center of end, or top, of the handle. Also, the are perhaps 20 or more horizontal "ribs" on the back of the handle, opposite the finger indentations. Secondly, the black pinstripes and "X-15" lettering shown in this picture were never applied on the original X-15. The turquoise looking paint on the X-15 pictured could be just a trick of the light, but the original paint is a silver-blue, or blue-silver color, depending on what you want to call it. If you wish to paint an X-15 as close to the original color as possible, go to Woodward Fab's website (they sell automotive restoration products and tools) and get a can or two of OLD Pontiac engine paint. Be careful, because Pontiac changed the shade of their engine paint in the mid 70's. Pretend you're painting the engine of a '67 GTO. And no, the X-15 for sale mentioned in a previous comment is not mine.
smorgan3@msn.com smorgan3@msn.com

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have an X-15 that I purchased about 15 years ago from a flea market.  I thought it was really unique.  I bought it had it displayed on a display shelf in my home until we moved 5 years ago.  It's been in storage since.   I am looking to sell it since I have no room for it anymore.  It has been repainted by a previous owner.  They had removed
the Vrroom mechanism and the shift and had it in a plastic bag for me.  There was no seat belt or sticker emblem enclosed.  They also gave me a magazine called "Collecting Toys" from April 1998.  This has a photo and an article that talks about the original tricycle.  It is in working condition and appears to have original parts.  But of course, I have no way to tell for sure.  I'm wondering if anyone knows how much I could sell it for or where to sell it.  I will try to post pictures if I can figure out how to do it on the board.

Thanks for any help!

Shari
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Hi Shari,

 If you're looking to sell your X-15, I suggest listing it on eBay. Craigslist is okay, but it seems to be very unorganized, and isn't updated often enough. Facebook has a selling feature called "Marketplace", but most people don't know about it, so the number of folks looking at your item will be quite limited. I think a starting price of at least $50 is fair, if it needs restored or if it is missing a few minor parts, but is still in useable condition. If it's 100 percent complete, but obviously repainted, likely in a non-correct color, start the bidding at around $100. I suggest not placing a reserve, because a reserve makes many people, myself included, pass on the item. Instead of a reserve, just make the starting bid whatever you want the reserve price to be.

 Have a great day!

 Brad

Sent from my iPad

NAML
smorgan3@msn.com smorgan3@msn.com

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Thank you Brad.  I really appreciate your opinion and advice, I will look into those options and put it up for sale.  Thank you.

Shari
Patrick DeAngelis Patrick DeAngelis

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

I have one sitting in my garage. It doesn't make the Vroom noise that I'm guessing supposed to comma however the only thing with it is my grandpa painted it and put red wagon wheels to replace the corroded out completely cars but everything is original rust y is there a model number that I should look for to see when and where it's been made?
Brad Beall Brad Beall

Re: 1964 Mattel X-15 V-RROOM! Tricycle

Hi Patrick,

 If your grandmother painted it, she might have used latex paint. If that's the case, it might be easy to remove, as latex paint usually doesn't adhere very well to pre-painted surfaces that already have petroleum-based paint on them. See if you can scratch some of the red paint off with your fingernail. If it comes off easily, then that's what you'll have to do for the whole thing. Don't try to remove the red paint with anything metal, as doing that will seriously damage the original paint under the red. If the red paint is from a spray can, such as Rust Oleum, then you're going to have to strip all of the paint off and repaint it. The original color is a slightly metallic silver-blue, very similar to the color Pontiac used to paint engines until the early '70's. You can find this engine paint at better auto parts store such as NAPA. Just be sure to get the paint made for pre-1973 Pontiac engines, as Pontiac changed to a darker shade of blue after 1973.

 A friend reproduces the decals that are on the "dashboard" and sides of the fenders. You can call his cell phone at (724) 263-3324, or Google "Delmar Signs in Monongahela, PA" for his business phone number. I think he sells the decal sets for about $40, but I'm not positive about the price.

 If you would like to replace the wagon wheels that were used to replace the originals, you might be able to find something very similar to the originals on industrial supply places such as Grainger or McMaster-Carr. These places sell to anybody, not just businesses, so check out their websites. I bet you can find something very close to the originals. Some of the wheels for welding carts and other industrial stuff look like they would be a good match.

 As far as I know, there are no numbers anywhere on the X-15 that would indicate when it was made. Mattel produced these from 1963 to 1966, so it's at least 51 years old, perhaps a bit older.

 If the "Vrrooom" sound making device isn't working, you might be able to repair it. There are a few things to look for -- the device works by rubbing along the side of the front wheel, so perhaps it's just not making contact, or maybe a part has frozen over time and just needs to be gently worked back and forth a bit to get it working again. You"ll have to remove the front wheel to get to the "Vrrooom" -- and yes, that's actually what it's called.

 Good luck, and have fun!

 Brad Beall

Sent from my iPad