Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Would like to discuss the possibility of dating a Mattel bike with the serial number. All I really have to go on is an educated guess, as I have been unable to find any factual information regarding serial numbers for Mattel bicycles. If anyone has any factual information about Mattel serial numbers, please let us know.

The serial number on my 1966 Mattel Stallion is located on the LH side of the crank housing.
This is the side opposite of the sprocket. It is a metallic foil label with an imprint.

As you can see in the photo above, this serial number starts with an M.
I am guessing this stands for Mattel. The next numeral is a 6.
My guess would be that this is the year of manufacture.
So I am guessing this bike is a 1966 model.

Or... maybe M6 is the model number? Hmmmmmm......

If anyone has any information to share, please post it here. Thanks.

Re: Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Folks... Please send pics of your serial numbers and let's see if we can figure this out. I am beginning to doubt my hypothesis as I have just received a picture of another serial number tag starting with M6 and I am starting to wonder if the M6 is a model ID of some sort. Could it be a coincidence that all three bikes I know of start with M6, so all three would be 1966 models? I doubt that.

Re: Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers

BajaSerg
Here's mine serial number

Re: Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Interesting that the wording on your Decal is totally different.

"If you write us about vehicle or order parts for it, be sure to include..."

Can't make out the rest of it.

Does it say "...this serial number"?

Re: Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Here's a serial number decal from an early Mattel V-RROOM! bicycle.

Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers
JM

Re: Mattel Bicycle Serial Numbers

JM
I recently picked up a Stallion and would like to restore it, eventually. It's serial label is worded like yours. It's SN is: M6 PV48009. What years were they made, and what were their differences? Lots to learn. Thanks