My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This is the bike that started it all. I was looking for a vintage bike to work on with my 7 year old son as a father and son project so we could spend a little bonding time together. I had been searching E-bay for Schwinn Stingrays and other muscle bikes of the era, but they all seemed to be over my budget. Then I ran across this odd-looking bike and it was love at first site. It was located about 20 miles away from me, so I knew I could save a few bucks on shipping. I immediately started researching the bikes online and was surprised to find very little information about them. I won this bike in December 2008 on Ebay for $99.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
This post was updated on .
These were the shots used on the Ebay Auction Site. I was intrigued by the bike's unique style and design. The design reminded me of the Googie architecture of the 1960's which I totally love. With it's outlandish looking frame designed to look like twin exhaust pipes, raked front forks and exaggerated ape hanger handle bars. I was hooked from the moment I laid eyes on her, I knew I had to have her!

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
When I went to pick it up, I found the bike to be totally covered in a very thick and sticky layer of dust not to mention the fact that it had a lot of surface rust. It was going to need a thorough cleaning for sure, not to mention some serious TLC. But I saw the potential and was very pleased with my purchase. Here are a few shots of the bike before we cleaned it up.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Now that it was ours, it was time to do some research and see what we could find out about it. This took a lot of time because there was very little information out there and what was out there was scattered all over the place. This bike truly seemed to have been a forgotten relic of the 1960's. That made the bike even more intriguing to me. I began collecting every piece of information, picture or old advertisement I could find about Mattel bikes in a folder on my hard drive. Little did I know at the time that I would use this information to build a resource site for other Mattel owners so their search for info could be much simpler. One of the first things I came across was the BMX Museum, a website dedicated to the history of BMX and an E-Museum for owners of old school BMX bikes to show off their collection. Finally we had SCORED! On this site was a Mattel Stallion just like the one we had just bought! Maybe this site could shed some light on the history of this bike and perhaps, I could contact the owner to get some much needed information....

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Wait a minute.... after staring at these photos for a while and making mental notes and comparisons, it all of the sudden dawned on me that I was staring at images of the very bike that was now in my garage!!! DOH !! I rushed out to the garage and the missing RH handlebar grip and kickstand leg immediately confirmed it. I had to laugh at myself for not realizing it sooner, and I had mixed feelings about this realization because while it was cool that this was the bike that was now in my possession, I now felt like it was back to the drawing board to try to find another comparable bike out there and perhaps meet another Mattel owner. More internet searching was in order...

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It was during these searches that I discovered Rat Rod Bikes...
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/

And after reading through the forum, I decided that perhaps a set of red wheels and whitewalls were in order. After all, my wheels were pretty rusty, the tires were totally shot, spokes were pulled through the rear rim and it was very wobbly. A new set of rims and whitewalls could do a lot for the old gal.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Since I was on a budget, I picked up a cheap set of Whitewall tires on Ebay, some new tubes, rim strips, pedals and a pair of clear sparkle grips. Set me back about $65 or so delivered. Not too bad. But what am I going to do about those wheels? Still not sure, but will post it here when I figure it out.

With some of the parts in stock, it was time to get to work. My 7 year old son and I got it out one sunny day and started cleaning it up. Steel wool, PB Blaster, 3M rubbing compound and lot's of elbow grease was the theme of the day.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It also needed to be lubed really bad. The grease in the cranks and head tube had dried up and looked more like glue or cement than grease. This all had to be disassembled, cleaned up with Blaster, regreased and reassembled. Lot's of scraping was in order to get all the dried up old grease out of the grease cups.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
We also took apart the rear suspension, greased it up and replaced the shoddy old hardware with more appropriate new hardware to sturdy things up a bit. With the rusty old antique hardware, there was a lot of side to side sway. But with the addition of new carriage bolts, washers and nylock nuts, the sway practically disappeared.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Got it all lubed up and back together. New pedals are on, new grips. Still some work to do, but looking a lot better and riding a lot better. Still haven't decided what to do about the wheels, though. Can't do the tires until I take care of the wheel problem.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

Ron Waits vlwaits@msn.com
Great story and a perfect father/son project. You have done a great job and have alot to be proud of with this bike.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

Frank Manj
I was looking for a road bike to buy when I decided to look up my bike when I WAS 8 OR 9.  Low and behold it's called a Mattel Stallion.  Now at 50 yrs. old and still in my possession, I got it down from my attic and to my surprise it's in decent condition.  If interested in the bike I can e-mail pictures to anyone interested call my cell at 610-213-2528.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Best thing to do is clean it up, take some pictures and post it in the FREE classifieds we have here for Mattel bikes. You can also check out the Mattel Bikes wanted are of the classifieds and you will find people interested in buying.

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

Phill Lawson
HI ... Columbus Ohio here ... I still have my bike from 1967 with fenders and all ... the wheels are chrome , never red that was the Bronco that had the red wheels and gas tank ....  any thing else I can help with or if you want to buy another one let me know

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

Phill Lawson

Re: My 1966 Mattel Stallion Bike Project

Mark
Oh Dude! I had a 1967 Mattel Stallion I got for Christmas that year! I loved that bike so much. It was a real beast. I also had one of the battery powered grumbler motors that went on it, the faster you went the more it revved. It mounted in the middle/bottom of the crossbars and had a control on the handle bar. What was so awesome about this bike, aside from its motorcycle look was it was so heavy and indestructible. Now, that heaviness could be a problem trying to keep up with my older friends on their English Racer 10 speeds, and climbing hills was a booger! But when we had "gang fights" with the other neighborhood boys, I could literally just run right over their much lighter bikes and knock them down. I can't for the life of me remember what happened to that bike, I know I finally got an English Racer and I guess I just let it go. I have wanted one of these for years.