X-15 Restoration

JimR
I recently found my old, beat-up Mattel X-15 tricycle in my parents attic.  It was given to me as a birthday gift by my grandparents when I was about 5 years old.   I rode it for several years.  I wish I knew how many miles I put on it but I bet it was a lot.  I was probably the best gift I ever received.  I decided to restore it.

I took it completely apart and sanded everything down to bare metal.  Then I had Sherwin Williams match the paint from a patch of pain on the inside of the body.  It cost me about $45 to have the paint made and put into spray cans.  Then I remade all the decals digitally and printed them on sticky-back photo paper.  After painting the body and wheels with primer and paint, I applied the new decals and then applied several layers of clearcoat over the top.  The tires were cleaned up as best as able with several different chemicals.  The v-rroom mechanism was in reasonably good condition but required remaking a couple parts.  It now works virtually like new with the cool v-rroom sound when the front wheel turns.  The seat belt was old and brittle so I remade it with a piece of rubber from a skin diving belt.  I polished up all the chrome and hardware.

Overall it turned out pretty good.  I have it displayed on my basement wall with a couple old pictures of the original Mattel advertisements.

Re: X-15 Restoration

V-RROOM!master
Administrator
Looks awesome! Great job. Would love to see pics of it on the wall with ads!

Re: X-15 Restoration

chris
Hi, im restoring the same item, was wondering how you applied the red dots on the wheels?